Sustainability Planning Process for Enterprises
- Level 3
A detailed planning process for small, medium or large enterprises. Based on the defined stages of the Sustainability Roadmap, the planning tool leads to an organisational plan for sustainability with a focus on action.
The resource includes planning templates and examples of best practices for sustainability action plans.
The process ensures a practical plan is put in place – built on personal and organisational strengths and a willingness to pursue provocative propositions for practical action on sustainability.
It also provides a way to review and track progress against planned actions and to communicate this transparently to stakeholders by focusing on measurable outcomes.
- Who it’s for
Managers of any type or size of business or community organisation. If you're a sole trader or a very small family business, you can use the same tool, but focus on just a few key areas to start with. See the planning process for micro-organisations.
- What you’ll need
A willingness to progress along the road to sustainability, and some time to plan your strategy. We recommend you do the Sustainability Roadmap Survey first, to establish your starting point and start thinking about priorities.
To use the planning template, you need either Excel or Word. Alternatively, you can use the content in the PDF version as a basis to integrate sustainability planning into your existing software, apps or systems.
- What’s included
- A detailed template for planning and recording actions. It relates to stages and priorities identified via the Sustainability Roadmap Survey. You can also use it to record your scores from the Sustainability Roadmap.
- Available in Word, Excel, or PDF format. You can enter info into the templates to create your plan. Alternatively, use the templates as a guide to integrating sustainability planning into task-planning software you already use
- Clear guidance is provided within the templates, to explain how to use thm.
Additional resources included
- Sustainability Action Checklist (Word file) with a list of actions focused on adding value, improving eco-efficiency and reducing carbon
- Links to examples of Sustainability Action Plans from a range of organisations (please note these are copyright of the organisations involved)
- Interactive PDF template to create an Action Plan
If you would like help to facilitate the planning process, mentoring is availble via sustainability consultancy.