Green Street for Schools
- Level 3
Sustainability lesson plans and activities to help school students, teachers and families learn about sustainability. Green Street educational resources have been applied in a number of educational environments for students of different age ranges. Resources for schools include:
- Lesson plans: a set of practical plans for different age groups and subjects, linking to the Australian Cross-Curriculum Priority of Sustainability. The plans support educators who want to deliver engaging and informative sustainability lessons. Each lesson is linked to one or more Green Street Badges and has an enquiry-based or project-based approach. We also invite teachers to share their own lesson plans with the Green Street community.
- Schools Challenge: this activity engages one or more schools in a challenge to improve sustainability at school and at home. The challenge is simple – students sign up to Green Street, join their school team, and use the carbon footprint calculator to get a Green Street score for their household. After pledging to take action in a few areas, they do the test again over 2–3 months. Learning from this exercise can be fed into class discussions, to generate ideas for projects. Schools may be rewarded through commercial sponsorship of sustainability projects that involve collaboration between local schools.
To inspire primary and secondary school children (and their families and teachers) to learn more about living, working, learning and playing sustainably.
Additionally, we aim to promote sustainability education and support teachers in delivering classes that encourage students to become future advocates for sustainable living and working.
- Who it’s for
School principals, teachers, administrators, students and families. If you're a teacher or parent/carer of primary or secondary school children, talk to your school about arranging a Green Street subscription for your school community.
- What you’ll need
- Access to greenstreet.net.au via any device
- Microsoft Word (or similar) to view or edit lesson plans
- The Schools Challenge achieves the best results if a number of local schools join at the same time. Sponsorship of rewards for the challenge can be negotiated with government or local businesses, if feasible.
- What’s included
The Sustainability Lesson Plans include:
- a downloadable summary of Green Street Lessons for Schools, referencing the Australian curriculum
- an online index of sustainability lesson plans categorised by age groups and subject areas
- editable lesson plans, including activity templates where relevant
- links to lesson plans submitted by the Green Street community, and a form to share your own lesson plans if you want to
The Schools Challenge includes:
- customisable challenge information sheet for printing or emailing
- example text for email to families
- a guide to running the Challenge
- access to mentoring via sustainability consultancy to facilitate the delivery of the Challenge in a school or network of local schools.